Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sitting & knitting

We have a new patient. She's in her 90's. The family says she's "given up," she's "ready to go." The family is clearly not ready to let her go. They're willing to talk hospice, but they are hoping that the extra attention and services will tip her back on the side of living. I ask about volunteers. "She knits," they say. "Do you have someone who could come knit with her and maybe also pick up the stitches she drops?" "I knit," I say. "I'll see what I can do."

At my initial, and as it turns out, only, visit with the patient, she's curled up in the middle of her bed with the covers pulled up to the top of her head. She doesn't respond to my greeting or presence. So I sit down next to the bed, pull out my knitting, and knit. Eventually she says a word or two. As I sit there, a younger woman comes in. She's the daughter of another resident, a friend of my patient, a knitting companion. The younger woman and I talk about knitting. And then a voice comes from under the covers: "I think I'm dying."

Before I can even open my mouth to respond, possibly faster than the speed of light, the other woman says, "Oh no. You're not dying. You just need to eat more." My thoughts are unprintable. Eventually the other woman leaves. I continue to knit. And knit.

Finally I say, "So you think you're dying. What makes you think that?" She says, "I just don't feel well." She's silent and I knit some more.

Finally she says, "Am I dying?" I take a deep breath. "Everyone dies sooner or later . . . I think for you it will be sooner. You're not eating and you tell me that you just don't feel well." More silence. I've answered her question. I've told her what she needs to hear. She doesn't say anything else.

And a few days later she dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment