Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Tales of the shofar

The shofar's out of the cupboard and into my workplaces. So far:

My patient's eyes are open when a greet her - a rarity - perhaps due to the lunch-time visit. I greet her and mention the New Year. Her eyes close. I sound the shofar - the whole series - loudly. No reaction from her; her eyes remain closed. But the gentleman next to her turns to me and asks: "What the hell was that??!!"

I do a "service" for a nursing home with a younger population. Some sing along with "Avinu Malcheinu." Some "talk back" at me during the story (I love that!) We listen to Kol Nidre. And during the course of the service I sound the shofar. They are so appreciative. I get to go around the room afterward and everyone wants to shake my hand and wish me a "happy new year." And I shake all of their hands and wish them a "happy and blessed year" as well. It's a good thing that State isn't here to chastise me for not washing my hands in between every handshake. It may not meet universal precautions, but the moment and the touch far outweigh the benefit of trying to follow the letter of the law in this case.

I ask one of my facilities if they have any Jewish residents who would like to hear the shofar. "The only people we've ever seen in the building with a yarmulke are you and that examiner from the State. He hasn't been around lately." "Ok, thanks. I didn't think you had any Jewish residents, but I always like to ask." "What does it sound like? Will you blow it for us?" So I do.

I give the activity director of another facility a CD of High Holy Day music for her Jewish resident (not one of my patients.) "Thank you so much. I'll put it in her room. Her family will be so glad to hear you came by." So . . . out comes the shofar and with a few introductory remarks to the staff, family and patients present, I blow the shofar. The Jewish resident gives me a little smile. "Please let her family know that I also brought in the shofar so she could hear it."

My office thinks of it as good PR and outreach. I think of it as a mitzvah and my preparation for entering the Holy Days.

שנה טובה ומתוקה

May we all be blessed with a sweet and good New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment